To create an “Emerald Necklace” natural infrastructure network of green spaces (parks and trails) in underserved areas throughout the Los Angeles Basin, connecting the Mountains to the Sea and protecting urban communities from the threats of climate change.
Our mission is inspired by the 1929 Olmstead Bartholomew plan for an expansive greenway for Los Angeles, but sadly, due to changing government priorities during the 1930’s the plan was never realized.
In 2003, in collaboration with community leadership we started creating parks and trails and a vision for a greener Los Angeles!
● HELP US MAKE our cities livable through natural infrastructure creation – efficient, convergent green infrastructure planning & “nearby nature” for urban residents.
● HELP US CREATE and STEWARD a world class urban park network that will also protect water resources!
● HELP US PLANT trees at schools for the benefit of students’ Mental Health, Academic Performance, and Physical Fitness
● HELP US CREATE and CARE for the urban forest and draw-down carbon
● HELP US PROTECT BUTTERFLIES and BEES and all the natural flora and fauna of our Metropolitan Region
SAT. AUG 17th, 2019 – 9:00AM to 12:00PM for SITE CARE: WATERING, WEEDING and PRUNING at MADRID MIDDLE SCHOOL, 3300 Gilman Road, El Monte, CA 91732.
SAT. AUG 24th, 2019 – 9:00AM to 12:00PM for SITE PREPARATION AND MULCHING at ALTADENA LAWNS TO LANDSCAPES at 2092 Casitas Avenue, Altadena, CA 91001.
SAT. AUG 31st, 2019 – 9:00AM to 12:00PM for SITE CARE: WATERING, WEEDING AND PRUNING at JEFF SEYMOUR FAMILY CENTER, 10900 Mulhall Street, El Monte, CA 91731.
Natural Infrastructure Projects
Amigos De Los Rios – Emerald Necklace Group is a 501(c)(3) we have been creating natural infrastructure in Los Angeles since 2003. We have outlined an Emerald Necklace Vision Plan and completed 35 urban forestry and nature park projects, and we are particularly concerned with greening schools to make sure that students’ mental health, physical health and academic performance are protected and optimized. Our Urban Greening and advocacy work is in direct response to climate change.
For 15 years we have been focused on connecting urban residents in our most under-served areas to nature.
Below are a sample of our greening projects currently underway.